Tag Archives: MOROCCO

WIP Update And Change In Editing Process

I’ve been a somewhat on the quiet side lately as far as Actual Blog Posts are concerned, mostly because of being busy working.

Hey, there are worse reasons, right?

I’ve also reinstated my rule that my work gets done first before I check into the world.  This means no checking Facebook/Twitter/flickr/message boards/statistics/whatever until my work is done.  Otherwise, if I do, it derails my mind into marketing and promotion mode instead of creative mode.  Not a good thing.

I’m in the middle of revisions for MOROCCO.  This is a tricky one both story-wise and editing-wise.  I’ve finished, hrm, a dozen or so stories by now–enough that I feel I have tabs on my working process, how I think, how I revise.  But I know damn well I’d be stupid to think I know everything (or even the tip of that iceberg) or can’t improve, so I’m trying a different sort of revision process on this story.  Anything that helps me find the holes in my story is a good thing.  The problem is in the change of habits.  It’s hard, it’s slow, it’s confusing, and I find myself checking back on the guide I’m following to remember what it is I’m supposed to be doing it.  I’m sure this will go smoother as I find my stride with the new system.

I had the feeling during the writing of MOROCCO (and again after I finished it) that I needed more.  More story, more time in-story, more description, and that feeling is holding up during the revision process.  I’m finding spots where stuff needs more development and to be actually grounded in the real, living world through description.  The story weighs in around 15k words.  My concern is that this will push it above 20k, which seems to be the upper limit for most short story markets that I’ve seen, and in the very low range for novella word counts.  I don’t think I would prefer it to blossom to novella-length for two reasons:

  • I already have one novella in the form of STRANDED
  • I don’t think there’s enough story in MOROCCO to fill out another 10-20k words (to get it up to 30k-40k) without feeling bloated.

This is all subject change as I continue revisions.  Most likely, I won’t know what I have until after the first rewrite.

When I’m not editing MOROCCO, I’m doing planning work for my next book, FUTURE.  Part of the reason for the change in editing for MOROCCO is that I’m going to use a very similar system for planning FUTURE and I’d like to get a handle on it before I begin.

In other news, I started participating in the Flickr 365 days group (see the 365 category and flickr links in the sidebar). Photography is on my list of “things to do and get better at” but often gets trumped by writing, music, and Actually Taking Some Time To Relax On Rare Occasion (see Murder Your Darlings ).  As such, I’m participating, but keeping a tight rein on my desire to excel and be perfect at it (and the time that that would take, which I don’t have).

Daily and WIP Update: 2010-06-15

Let’s see.  What’ve I been up to lately.

The Norton’s Ghost book trailer is out.  It appears to meet with approval, so that’s definitely a good thing.

I’ve been doing planning for FUTURE. I don’t normally outline, but due to the nature and scope of this story, I think it would be a pretty good idea to try this different approach with my writing.  As I wrote last week (I think), I just wish there was a convenient way to measure how much progress I’m making.  It feels like slow going, but right now I’m squeezing in the work whenever I can.

I’m also due to begin edits on MOROCCO.  Eeeep.  I hope it’s not as terrible as I fear.  With any luck, there are good little story nuggets and tidbits lurking in there and the bad parts won’t be as bad as I think they are.

And if the above weren’t enough, I devoted some time last night to musical pursuits (including figuring out some things in Logic Studio) and am now to vacate the computer in favor on doing some research reading.

Whew.

Slowly But Surely

A WIP update.

Codename: Pipes

I finished my first edit on codename: Pipes this evening.  Cleaned up some dialog and smoothed out some transitions that were rough. That’s the awesome thing about writing: it doesn’t have to be perfect the first time.

My planned word limit on the story when I sat down to write it was 1000 words.  The original clocked in somewhere around 950 or so, depending on the program doing the counting.  This puts a little pressure on me. A little squeeze to ensure I don’t add too much.  The story can be told in that amount of words.  I just need to spend some time with it to make sure it shines.

I’ll do one more edit and then I’ll hand it off to close readers for their feedback.

Codename: Morocco and Codename: Nova

These stories are still with my close readers. It’s sometimes difficult to wait on feedback. The stories loom large in my life and I have to remember that they don’t necessarily do so in the lives of my close readers. I want to make them better and then get them out into the world, but these things take time.

I’ve tried to get a good rotation going so that I’m busy working on other stories in various stages while waiting for initial feedback on other works.